We have three demands in the UK:
TELL THE TRUTH
Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
THE CITIZENS’ ASSEMBLY ON THE CLIMATE AND ECOLOGICAL CRISISThe truth is that the climate and ecological emergency poses an unprecedented existential threat to humanity and all life on Earth. Rapid, unprecedented changes to many aspects of human life – energy use and supply, transport, farming and food supply, and so on – are now needed to avert global climate and ecological catastrophe. Globally governments have been unwilling to tackle a problem of this magnitude. In 2015, the UN Paris Agreement on Climate Change was signed by world leaders to limit global warming to 2°C above pre-industrial levels. However, scientific evidence now tells us that our leaders have not taken enough action and we are still on a path to reach 3-4°C, which will be catastrophic to all life on Earth. This is an emergency. The challenges are big, wide-ranging and complex. And solutions are needed urgently. Extinction Rebellion believes that part of the problem is the way that government operates. The UK’s parliamentary democracy is a form of representative government: power is in the hands of a few representatives (Members of Parliament or MPs) who are elected by the people. This form of government has proved itself incapable of making the radical long-term policy decisions needed to deal effectively with the climate and ecological crisis:
- It is nervous of voter disapproval.
- The five-year election cycle encourages short-term goals that ensure re-election stifling long-term planning.
- Political parties are influenced by the interests of corporate lobbies, biased and commercially orientated media and wealthy financial backers.
- MPs infer what their constituents want through opinion polling, which captures unconsidered, offhand opinions, while citizens’ assemblies produce informed and deliberated public judgements.
- MPs are under pressure by their own party members and are often unable to make the decisions they feel are right.
Join The Rebellion
All of our work is free to use non-commercially in the full spirit of DIY. Do not use the work for commercial purposes, however well meaning, without prior consent from the originators. The Extinction Symbol was designed prior to Extinction Rebellion. Using the symbol on commercial merchandise is strictly forbidden. For more information visit www.extinctionsymbol.info.